Transforming Althoff Catholic High School into an Apple iPad Campus
Apple iPad Initiative Overview
This technology initiative is an investment in our children's future.
- This initiative is a continuation of the Vision project that began four years ago when every classroom was wired to provide internet capabilities.
- A wireless internet system will now be installed throughout the entire school.
- After months of research and review, Althoff Catholic and it's Technology Committee has decided to implement a 1:1 Apple iPad program.
- Each teacher and student will use Apple iPads to replace most of the paper related tasks performed today.
- All teachers will be given an Apple iPad; students can optionally purchase one.
- iPads will be used to replace paper textbooks with electronic versions. If an electronic version is not available, the paper textbook will continue to be used for the first year.
- Teachers will be planning to replace textbooks that are not available in electronic versions and prepare to fully utilize the Apple iPad in the classroom.
- All teachers and students will leverage iPads as part of their normal daily activities.
- Continue to expand the school's use of technology and capabilities.
- Google Earth
- News 360
- World Atlas
Caring for your iPad
The following list of best practices are provided to help you protect and maintain your iPad:
- To prevent the risk of theft, never leave your iPad unsupervised, and keep it in a bag, backpack or in a locked locker, if playing sports or engaged in an activity where the iPad is not needed.
- Carry your iPad in a sturdy bag or backpack when moving between classes and to and from school to minimize the risk of dropping your iPad.
- Periodically close apps that are running in the background on your iPad to improve performance. To do this double-tap the home button, a list of all the recently used apps will show on the bottom. Tap and hold your finger on the app icons. They will begin to jiggle and you can then press the red minus sign to close the apps. Also, turn off your iPad for a few seconds, at least weekly, to clear memory.
- Regularly log into your iCloud account to backup your iPad.
- Please remember, when you are in your classrooms, the iPad is for school use only.
- If your Apple ID has become locked or disabled, please go to iforgot.apple.com on any web browser to reset your password. If you are unable to reset your password via the Apple iForgot website, please see a tech after school.
- Remember that water and electronics don't mix! Protect your iPad from exposure to moisture at all times.