The History of Althoff Catholic High School
In 1699, missionary priests from Quebec founded the oldest, continuous Catholic parish of the United States here in southwestern Illinois in what is now the Catholic Diocese of Belleville. Catholic followers of Jesus Christ have been raising their families and teaching their children about God in our area for over 300 years! Since 1894, Catholics here established high schools to help teach and prepare their children including the schools: St. Teresa, Cathedral, Notre Dame, Assumption, and Central Catholic. Finally, in 1964, Bishop Zuroweste established Althoff Catholic High School, in the name of our second bishop, to help serve these families. Today, inspired by the faith of thousands before us, we boldly proclaim our ongoing mission: "We are called by Jesus Christ to educate young people, in the Catholic tradition, to lead successful, faith-filled lives."
- The crest of Althoff Catholic High School features four symbolic quadrants in the school colors: navy-blue and Crusader gold.
- The upper-left quadrant features the "PX", or traditional Greek letters symbolic for Jesus Christ. The sword is symbolic of: "...the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God," (Eph 5:17). The key is a reminder of our Catholic Church and a reminder of Cathedral of St. Peter's High School, the precursor to Althoff Catholic
- The open book and master-teacher's baton in the lower-left quadrant are symbolic of academic excellence.
- The marching knight in the upper-right quadrant symbolizes the passion and faith of the Crusader spirit found in our extra-curricular endeavors.
- The lower-right quadrant is symbolic of our namesake, Bishop Henry J. Althoff, the second bishop for the Diocese of Belleville.